Guest blog post by Kelly Elliott, National Auxiliary Emergency Fund Committee chair
Disasters can happen to anyone at any time. This year has certainly shown that. The Auxiliary Emergency Fund (AEF) is here to provide hardship and emergency assistance to eligible members of the American Legion Auxiliary who have endured a significant financial setback as the result of devastating damage to their primary residence or personal financial crisis.
To be eligible for one of these grants, you need to have paid the last three years of ALA membership dues. So, that would be this year and the two previous years membership. There is an application available on the National website to complete and submit with the appropriate documentation.
Applications are processed in a timely manner. The National office realizes how important this is to get those funds to our members as quickly as possible.
We have had a lot of destructive weather in the last six months. Now we are getting into tornado season. Do you have a plan to keep you and your family safe? Have you discussed a disaster plan with your family? Following are some tips I found to be useful when preparing you and your family for possible disasters.
Be prepared with the following items:
To stay safe during a tornado, follow these steps:
- Fresh batteries and a battery-operated TV, radio, or internet-enabled device to listen to the latest emergency weather information.
- A tornado emergency plan including access to a safe shelter for yourself, your family, people with special needs, and your pets.
- An emergency kit (including water, non-perishable food, and medication).
- A list of important information, including telephone numbers.
- Immediately go to a safe location such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar, or a small interior room on the lowest level of a sturdy building.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- Protect yourself by covering your head or neck with your arms and putting materials such as furniture and blankets around or on top of you.
Please take the time to put your emergency kit together and be prepared. We want you to keep safe and to keep your family and loved ones safe too. But remember, if the need arises, the AEF is here to assist you.
If you would like to donate to the AEF, donate here
and choose the Auxiliary Emergency Fund as your gift designation toward the top of the form after you choose your donation amount.