No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
A young man pumps gas into an elderly woman’s car so she doesn’t have to get out in the cold weather. A woman with a cart full of groceries allows a man with a few items to go ahead of her in the checkout line, saving him time. Someone pays the tab for the person behind him in the drive through. The least costly gifts often pay the highest dividends.
Here are 9 reasons gestures of goodwill can make a lasting impression:
- A complimentary dessert as an act of goodwill when a mistake is made on a dining customer’s order can express just how valuable their patronage is to the business. It may keep him coming back in spite of the error.
- A demonstration of kindness in the face of a disgruntled employee lets them know they’ve been heard and respected.
- An offer to help someone struggling may open a heart to help you in your own time of need.
- An expression of concern when you recognize someone is hurting demonstrates that there are still people in the world who care.
- An apology when you’ve made a mistake often opens the door for grace.
- A willingness to serve, especially when it’s something no one really wants to do, offers hope to those who need the service.
- A word of encouragement from a teacher may propel the student to do great things, perhaps even change the world.
- A pause to listen to someone celebrates the truth that we all have something to contribute and deserve to be heard.
- A decision to foster a spirit of goodwill can increase your social skills as others come to see you as someone they enjoy being around.